The AFS-OC Student Subunit sponsors an award for mentoring a student or young professional who is a member of Ontario Chapter. The purpose of the award is to recognize a current or previous fisheries professional who has contributed to an overall improved experience for AFS-OC students or young professionals.
At minimum, the recipient of the award should do one or more of the following:
- Guide and help an AFS-OC student or young professional to shape and define their future career
- Provide substantial assistance to an AFS-OC student or young professionals
- Assist with networking and goal setting
- Challenge, provide intellectual support, and acknowledge accomplishments
- Promote learning and provide training opportunities for AFS-OC students or young professionals to gain experience that would otherwise be unobtainable without the assistance of the nominee
- Encourage the pursuit of academic endeavors such as conference participation, presentations, and authorship